Friday, November 13, 2009

Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

I just wanted to share a quick story with everyone.



First, I have a bunch of tattoos - my right arm (including the ditch and underside) is almost filled with a mish-mash of things, my left breast (from my areola to my shoulder) is one large Japanese carp fish, I have one tattoo on each shoulder, and just a couple days ago I added another to the back of my neck/middle shoulder area. I've had my tongue pierced and my nose pierced, and my hair has been many colors including hot pink.



All this to say, I'm an accountant, I'm human resources, and most shockingly, I'm a youth group leader %26amp; Sunday School teacher. I remember asking if I should wear long sleeves and they said "if people judge you for that, that's their problem." My church is Evangelical too, known to be quite conservative.



I showed my pastor my newest tattoo last night and he said "well if you're gonna get a tattoo, that's one to get."



It simply says: "DO NOT CONFORM, BE TRANSFORMED" Romans 12:2



Cheers!



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

An interesting conundrum in this thread. It is, in it's own way, a reflection of other social equity struggles.



What you propose is effectively a turn the other cheek approach - one of breaking stereotypes and yet going where someone inked normally doesn't. In your own way, it resembles the struggles the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King attempted.



On the other side, there are those who are understandably annoyed. Perhaps somewhat moreso in this case, as the anonymity of the net has given us a bumper crop of the confrontational. I don't doubt that a lot of the ranting comes from that. In person, the objectors generally aren't so brash (unless in large groups), but then I suspect the folks here would be quite civil barring substantial provocation. Although I could continue the analogy by using Malcom X, I think that might be a stretch; the basic dualism still seems apparent.



Which is right? I won't pretend to know. If there is one thing I have learned, it's that there is a whole lot I don't - can't? - understand, at least not yet. I have a sneaking suspicion that the above is actually a false dichotomy, and that they are actually different sides of the same coin. Rosa Parks didn't succeed by sitting quietly at the back of the bus. On the other hand, Ghandi didn't drive the British out of India by shooting at them. Practically a Gordian knot, although hopefully with a less violent actual solution.



I'm already running too long (as normal), so I'll stop here. I will say, though, that I'm intrigued by your art. Do you have a link to pictures of it?



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

Kudos to you for sharing that. :)



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

I am not one to have tattoo's, but I do not judge others for their personal taste.



I love your new tattoo.... Thanks for sharing :)



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

Good for you! I agree whole-heartedly!



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

you're awsome. i don't have any tattoos (i'm a minor) but i'd love to get one of a cross. my mother things that all tattoos will impare me in my future encounters, be it with jobs, interviews, etc. i say that if someone won't hire me or won't even talk to me b/c i have a tattoo, then they're not worth worrying about. she doesn't seem to get it.



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

That's a great story! I think that this is the only way that body modders will become more accepted, when we show that we can have tats/piercings/other mods AND still be respected, productive members of society.



It's great that your church is so supportive, many aren't. Kudos to them for being so open minded!



Other than piercing, I work in health care (ambulance) and I get an overall positive reaction from my patients. Why? Because although I'm visibly modded, I'm friendly, compassionate, and very good at what I do. The one's who freak out about my mods are the same ones who freak out because I'm a chick driving/attending an ambulance.



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

Good for you!!!



Although not quite where you are, I am a receptionist, and I have my nose pierced and a tattoo on my ankle



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

Thanks for doing your part :)



Likewise, though I'm not heavily inked (just the one...I'm so horribly indecisive) I do carry an unorthodox appearance, not the least of which is 5/8" stretched earlobes. However, unlike most people with tattoos and other modifications, the one trait I simply lack is that of intimidation. I have always (somehow) projected the image of approachability and safety. Thus, people seem quite comfortable approaching me and asking me about the stretched ears..."did it hurt?" "gonna go bigger?" "is that really a hole?" and the list goes on. Add to the list that I'm also a freelance tattoo artist (11 years and counting) I deal with people who are interested, but unsure of what it may mean (both personally and to others). Yet more on top of that, my "day job" is a mechanical engineer...like you, a professional career. I've been fortunate that my skill in the field has earned professional respect, and employers approaching me to work for them instead of vice versa. As such, it puts me a little bit in the position of almost "freak liaison" between the professional mainstream and alterna-culture.



This is my opportunity to show that not every tattoo or unorthodox piercing is the sign of a drug-abusing, unstable, social misfit destined to work in the dark corners of record stores and dead-end minimum wage jobs.



However...



It's impossible to completely discount the "stigma" factor, or the simple but powerful message that a tattoo has indelibly set you aside from the unadorned as somebody who's willing to make a statement in a bold, permanent fashion. There's a little appeal from the realm of engaging in the "taboo" to let people know that you're not about to blend in completely. The fact that it's still perceived to be a fringe form of expression (broad scale...there are locales where the undadorned are among the minority) sets tattoos aside as a certain "rite of passage" to a level that so many are unwilling to commit to. Considering the easier nature of modern society, there are fewer "rites of passage" available to mark any transition from one stage in one's life to another, the movement of body adornment has superimposed itself in that role to a large degree. It's still one that's purely set forth by the person engaging in whatever their personal rite may be, and not one imposed by society...as such, it's viewed by the majority as something "not quite right."



Reducing the stigma may be a double edged sword. Where acceptance may make life easier in terms of everyday interaction, it may also serve to dilute the personal meaning of tattoos and why it's important enough for a person to inscribe an image upon themselves for life instead of wearing it as a tee-shirt which can be changed/removed upon request. Reducing the stigma sufficiently, and the possible repercussion may be that tattoos might become a means of conforming where it used to be one of transforming.



My humblest apologies for taking my two cents and using it to buy a soapbox :)



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a really sweet tat. If I was a Rock and Roll star I would have so many more tats..lol..your doing that child a favor.



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

so whats your point, i have tattoos and I'm normal. It's just body art. get over it.



well you're welcome honey pie, but seriously, I'm pretty sure everyone already knows that. Alot of people have tattoos. the only people with real issues about them are those crazy bible freaks. So calm down, it mostly just sounds like you're bragging about your tats.



Reducing the 'stigma' of tattoos - Doing my part!?

Oi vey...Not another "non-conformist" You get tattoo's...people are going to judge you because that's the world we live in. Suck it up and get over it...ugly fact of life, sorry to burst this bubble

No comments:

Post a Comment